Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Perspective

In court today (why do I feel like 90% of my boring sentences start in this boring manner?), a client agreed to enter into a stipulated order of continuance. This meant that as long as he took required classes, paid a fine, and did not get caught committing another crime, the one at issue would disappear after 24 months. The explanation went fairly well. He seemed to understand.

So we went on the record. The judge quizzed him to make sure he understood every aspect of the contract.

"Wait," said my client as we were about to wrap up. "So... no criminal law violations. That I understand. But... what if I, drive and I... kill someone?"

The judge was taken aback.

"Well, if you get a speeding ticket, that's ok, but yes, VEHICULAR HOMICIDE would be a problem."

"I see," said my client thoughtfully, clearly pondering the small chance he had of getting through two years without a vehicular homicide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home